Friday, October 13, 2006

If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains....then you're lucky enough!!

At the very top of Grandfather Mountain October 12, 2006


PART 1......


I am back ...Did yall miss me ?


I spent the last week on holiday in North Carolina.The British say holiday instead of vacation and I like the sound of it anyway I was in Asheville to be exact. I am about to sound kinda silly ...like someone with a high school crush.....BUT I dont care . I LOVE Asheville, North Carolina. Well, to say that I love the mountains as a whole would be a slight understatement. But, I do dig Asheville for so many reasons ...so many that its hard to pick just one. So lets start with this ....It's eclectic....
Eclectic is described by Websters as being ....
Selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines, methods, or styles, composed of elements drawn from various sources.

That's Asheville! That's the mountains of Western North Carolina! People who settled the region came from all over...Scotland, Ireland, Wales....so many styles and elements that came together to make something so beautiful. The people who walk the streets today are every element that you can imagine. Diverse.

I feel comfortable in the mountains....it's soothing! I have been there in all four seasons, in the rain, snow, high winds....No matter the weather I always have a smile on my face. The area suits me. The people suit me. It all suits me . I told yall I was gonna sound kinda silly. It's a lovely place. My mood rises when I leave because it only means I get to come back someday and enjoy it all over again.
My family has roots that go deep in the mountains of NC. A family that has ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War and them came back to start families. My grandfather moved to Alabama in 1940 because of his being in the Army Air Corps. He stayed in Bama...my and fell in love with my Nana.....Here we are..................BUT
I sometimes sit and think that maybe I could be the one to "take" our family back to NC......to buy a house on Rock Hill Road in Asheville and just let things happen.

If I cant live there full time then I plan on going back as often as time and funds will allow. I also want to take family and friends back with me. And as often as they want to go . When you have something this great that you enjoy this much ....it should be shared and shared often.
I want to expose people to The Blue Ridge Parkway, Barleys, The Mast, Christmas at the Biltmore Estate, The Noodle House , The Grove Arcade, the Natahalla, All Souls Church, Pack Square,Grandfather Mountain, The Grove Park Inn and so many other great places.

So who wants to go ? When do you want to go ? How long do yall want to stay? I am up for any trip that will include the mountains.

I might live in Alabama but North Carolina is my home.

This is the first of at least two posts. Stay Tuned!!




2 comments:

The Bean said...

I'm going for New Years. My Hubby's family lives there and that's where he is from. We actually honeymooned there as well. I share you sentiment!

Audra said...

"Camping in the Carolinas!" - Audra! HAHAHA!