Sunday, February 22, 2009

OSCAR!!

So.....
I used to be a big fan of award shows....Used to watch them all the time. The Grammy, The Emmys, The Oscars, The Tonys(yes that one too)....but then a few years back I just sorta stopped.
I think it was around the time that Saving Private Ryan lost best picture to Shakespeare in Love....but in the same year Steven Speilberg won best director for Saving Private Ryan??!?!? HUH?
Anyway....award shows do nothing for me. Dont get me wrong...There are some aspects that are enjoyable to watch. Like the part where they give an award to someone who has done alot for folks over the years.......Using your influence and name recognition to help others. This year they gave an honorary Oscar to Jerry Lewis for all his work with the MDA. That was a good thing....
Also, the late Heath Ledger won for his role in last years Batman movie....That was nice to see. He was a great talent.
But at the end of the day I typically dont decide to see a movie based on the fact that someone in that movie won an Oscar or the movie itself won.
Dont get me wrong I will still watch parts here and there ....As i said some parts are enjoyable .

But....Let the work stand for itself....Thats what Brando and George C Scott did ....they refused Oscars because they said they did the work....made the movie and it was over...
Move on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but I just can't sit through award shows. I do sometimes like to go see the films that are nominated and I usually check out the winners the next day. But often the actual films/actors that win just seems a little arbitrary and I definitely don't care enough to sit and watch for three hours.

I can't remember which film won the year Brokeback Mountain came out but I remember feeling like it got robbed! Other than that, I don't remember paying much attention to the winners each year.

Laura Mielke said...

love the new banner. that's cool. where is it from?

Jason said...

The picture is from Barleys in Asheville ....
i found it online