Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Contained Therein.......


So......

I have wanted a garden for a long time. A LOOOOONG time....but the backyard is really shady and not really a good spot for growing veggies. I have been reading so much about folks who are planting gardens for the first time and I really wanted to get something going on my end.

When I was growing up we had huge gardens....tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peas, beans, watermelons and potatoes. It was great.

So after much research and looking around my house for the most sunlight during the day I have decided that I will plant a container garden outside the kitchen door.

It will be small in size but MIGHTY in what it yeilds. I am going to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beans and maybe squash. I am also going to do a small herb garden with basil, parsley,oregano and coriander. Did you know that coriander grows into Cilantro??? Who knew....

I am excited about this ....if I can keep the damned squirrels away (already been reading about what to do about these little pests) and if everything gets at least 6 hours of good sun , then I think we will be ok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. I planted a little container of rosemary and mint. I really recommend those two. The rosemary is so fragrant.

Laura Mielke said...

you can alway come plant in our big UNSHADED yard! I would love to garden. Can't wait to learn from you.