Wednesday, April 01, 2009

STUFF.....


So.....

Stephanies blog post the other day got me to thinking ....so here goes


Stuff....We all got it. We all buy it. We all (be honest) covet what others have sometimes. Here's the thing....We dont need it all. And I really think that goes without saying ....

Do I need a small digital video camera when my regular digital camera will make videos? No

Do I need an iPod? No....I listen to mine here and there. I have started using it more since I started working out...but I rarely use it in my car or at home.

I have a ton of books....tons. But why do I keep them?? They gather so much dust ....I used to collect Gone With the Wind stuff until it almost took over my life and now that stuff is sitting in the attic gathering LOTS of dust.

I think about my Nana who lived the last two years of her life in a shared room at a nursing home. The entire contents of her 88 years filled one medium sized box when she died.....

88 years -One box of stuff.

I have a closet full of clothes and really I maybe wear 1/3 of whats in there ....I have some regular pants and shirts that I wear but everything else for the most part just hangs there...Never used.

What I need are stronger relationships with people.....What I need is to get to bed early and get good rest at night .....What I need is to be a better brother, son and friend.....What I need is to strengthen my bond with God.....

What I dont need is more stuff...


3 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

AMEN brother! Inspiring...

Ryan said...

That is a very refreshing look at consumerism my friend. We definitely need to look more closely at our relationships rather than worrying about what we can accumulate...

Nick M. said...

Stuff. Who needs it? I read something the other day where someone doing spring cleaning was committing to throw out 50 things in an attempt to de-clutter their life. How about that?