Thursday, September 21, 2006

This and That.....

Presidents

Former President Bill Clinton has been making the talk show rounds this past week to drum up support for his Global Initiative. First of all let me say that this guy looks fantastic . After having spent the last couple of years looking sick , it now appears that he is back at his fighting weight.
This seems like a very worthwhile project to be involved with and many people from all across the world are signing up to do what they can to help. Also it is just wonderful to see someone on television that is so articulate, relaxed in intereviews , engaging and smart.
President Clinton seems to be taking a page from an old FDR playbook by saying "Do something, big or small, that makes a difference." That seems to be the phrase I am hearing and seeing the most about this project. Click on the link to get more info.
http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?&pid=346&srcid=-2

Books

I ran across an old article I had saved from several years ago that had a listing of books that had been banned for some reason or another in the last couple hundred years. I thought it would be fun to post that and see if any of yall had read any of these "banned" books. On a related note, I was talking to my friend David sunday night and we both talked about how much we enjoy "To Kill A Mockingbird" By Harper Lee. Anyway, that book made the list along with some other great ones. I have never quite understood the "banning" of books. Maybe we could all be a rebel and pick up a copy and either read or re-read one of these books. Enjoy!
  • The Adventures of Huck Finn-Mark Twain
  • The Diary of Anne Frank-Anne Frank
  • The Great Gatsby-F.Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Martian Chronicles-Ray Bradbury
  • To Kill A Mockingbird-Haper Lee
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin-Harriett Beecher Stowe
  • The Canterbury Tales-Geoffry Chaucer
  • I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings-Maya Angelou
  • 1984-George Orwell
  • A Farewell To Arms-Ernest Hemmingway
  • A Catcher In The Rye- J.D. Salinger
  • The Color Purple-Alice Walker
  • Flowers For Algernon-Daniel Keyes
  • Gone With The Wind-Margaret Mitchell
  • Of Mice And Men-John Steinbeck
  • One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest-Ken Kasey
  • Ordinary People-Judith Guest
  • The Bible-God
On a personal note ....I have not felt this good in months. I dont know if its the weather or what but I feel great. My mood is good. My time out with friends seems to have a new shine to it . Things are going great at work and beyond. Things are good!!!
I only have about 17 days till I head to North Carolina and I cannot wait
http://www.exploreasheville.com/index.aspx?mediatype=ppc&source=google&campname=general&adgroup=general&ad=1&campaign=g&yr=2006


I close with a quote.....
"Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness"
Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that I was not the only one playing Thursday. We had a fun day. Was this quote from the Robert & Amy wedding pictures?

You know me--I want to know what happpened at the poker party that has to "stay in Vegas."

Two Interesting Blogs! JMH