Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What a weekend ................

First of all let me say this .....I am a better poker player than I give myself credit
We had our first card night this past Friday night and I believe the general feeling was that it was a huge success. This might sound weird but I have always enjoyed that image of "the guys" sitting around playing cards, drinking beer, smoking cigars and telling funny stupid stories. Thats what we did last Friday night. The girls were there of course but they were on the front porch and pretty much left us to do our thing. We all had a blast, at least I had a blast and I also got to meet some really nice folks .
I could write lots more but as they say " What happens in Vegas , stays in Vegas"

I recently finished another book about President Franklin D. Roosevelt. This book focused on the last year of his life, April 1944-April 1945. President Roosevelt suffered from congestive heart failure. This is a serious condition today but in the mid 1940s there was really nothing that could be done for it . Imagine this ...You have a serious heart condition, chronic high blood pressure, paralyzed from the hips down and you are running a nation who is fighting a world war on several fronts. It is really amazing that he lived to see a fourth term much less run for one .
One of the problems with his heart condition is that not enough oxygen rich blood was getting to his brain so it was harder for him to make decision or follow conversations . This man was trying to shape the post war world and was having a hard time doing just that.
But he did manage to shape the United Nations. Win a fourth term as President. Go to the Quebec Conference and the Yalta Conference......he did it all while dying.
He was planning a trip to San Francisco for the opening session of the United Nations in late April of 1945 and then a trip to London in May.
Anyway I dig Roosevelt ......

1 comment:

Laura Mielke said...

good last three blogs. I am totally with you and your love for fall. I agree that it feels as though fall is the beginning of something great. the cooler mornings and nights. Cold outside for me means warm and cozy insides, holidays where friends and families, and churches gather, good food, fluffy scarves, and BONFIRES if you can find one. Maybe one day we will live somewhere that Fall and Winter comes a little sooner and lasts a little longer.