Saturday, May 20, 2006

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL........

I spent two nights this past week going to graduations. Ryan and Drew both graduated this past week with honors. They are two of the smartest, funniest guys you will ever meet and I have had the pleasure of watching them grow into the fine young men that they are . Now before you go start thinking that they are perfect angels ....LET ME STOP YOU.....They have given me more grief than I care to remember but I suppose thats all part of the journey known as "teen boys". We all, in the course of our lives, will have some type of chance to be a part of someones life. For some of us its much later in our lives for others its RIGHT Now. I think a question that many of us will ask at some point is this ....Is what I am doing or have done the right thing? Will I make some impact on a life ? If I am being honest I have to say that I think about that all the time . Do I make a difference in what I am doing? Most anyone who reads this knows me and what I do. We all have that little ego that needs to be stoked from time to time ....we love hearing folks say nice things about us.....we give the "Aw shucks" routine but we do dig the attention. One of the guys graduating this past week has become over the last few years one of my best friends. He is a mature, smart and witty guy who is vastly older than what his age says . I have had conversations with him that I really dont think I could ever have with some adults three times his age. I sat the other night watching him graduate and I thought......Will he remember anything we talked about 15 years from now ? Will he remember that I have begged him to think for himself......to live a Christ centered life.....Will he remember that although Metallica is a fantastic band it all begins and ends with FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA .....there is more to a weekend than making Drano bombs ...that it is ok to take a position on something and STAND UP FOR IT ...I could go on for pages ...I just wonder what impact we make on folks .....I can count on one hand the folks in my life that really truly changed me ....Not someone who gave earth shattering advice...but the folks who have guided me and taught me by examples.....without some of their guidence I dont know where I would be today ..... I am going to be taking a few days off next week ......I dont pretend that I work hard .....I dont pretend that my job requires much skill(although answering the phone seems to come in handy) but I need a small break ....I went to NC a few weeks ago but that was a short trip that actually revolved around work ....this time I am going somewhere to just get away .....and I am going to Florida .....*GASP* FLORIDA you say?? Yeah FLORIDA ....I know I have said time and time again that I am not now ...nor will I ever be a fan of the beach but there is a tremendous amount of Florida that is miles and miles from any beach ....and thats where I am going ...Near Orlando actually . A good friend of mine has family there and he wants someone to ride with him so I am riding with him .....Its a long drive but thats cool .... So I am loading up on flip flops and short britches .....taking extra SPF suntan cream and heading to the Sunshine State .....Talk to Yall soon .............................

1 comment:

Laura Mielke said...

Hey Jason. You have definately touched my life. The most important thing you have done for me is choke down my cooking. It really means a lot. I'm just kidding - I know I'm your favorite cook anyway. Seriously though, I love that you make Nick and me a priority to stop by and really visit atleast once a week. I love that when we all have a beer together...we feel like "sohisticated kids"- not ever grown ups. I love that you love the word "lovely." And I love that the three of us can get away with sayingthe stuff we say and laugh laugh laugh. Have a great trip and bring me back a sunset :)