Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mozart's Sonata for Piano No. 11 In A Major

So....

Stages of Dieting (kinda like the grief ones ya know )

Denial -
At my heaviest I remember that I could look at myself in the mirror and at certain angles and with the proper lighting convince myself that I looked pretty much all right. Sure I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I didnt look half bad....even though I felt like day old crap most mornings. I felt like I was okay... and then Id see a snapshot taken of me at a party and my self-image would deflate like a soufflé during any type of baking I try.

Anger -
I cant tell you how many of my diets were initially fueled by feverish anger… getting mad at myself at my weakness.....at my inability to get my act together. But heres the thing about my anger....it burns white-hot for a short period.... but its simply not going to last....not something that can carry you over the long haul.

Bargaining –
Ill just have one more reckless weekend, one more bust a gut....free-for-all before I really really and I mean really get serious about it. Thats what I told myself over and over and over. Its funny how those “last meal” moments dont really get the job done as a diet booster… well.... not all the funny when you stop and think about it.

Depression -
Overwhelming feelings of hopelessness and levels of frustration bitterness and self pity. Thats what a lifetime of not being able to get the deal done generally brings about......You feel down and out....lower than low. This is the darkness before the dawn.

Acceptance -
I doubt that theres a single one of us that doesnt know exactly what we need to do to lose weight and get more fit. We know it....We know it like we know our own names.... yet we stumble and struggle to eat the right things.... do the right things. Then one day (if were very lucky) it clicks and it all comes together for us... in our heads and in our hearts... and we realize how all the parts and pieces fit together.... how energy effort and enthusiasm can come together to create great circumstances. That is when the magic happens...

I dont really know how appropriate it is to "borrow" the stages of grief idea for a post about losing weight and getting more healthy... but I will use anything I can get my hands on...rants and rhymes even riddles–to help drive these points home. Ill use anything and everything at my disposal to keep pushing myself (and you I hope)to a better place.

Wherever you are on this journey I hope youre finding yourself making progress. I hope youve left behind your anger and self-doubt. I pray youre done with the bad bargains and the pity parties.

I hope you are in a good place... ready to face your challenges and your opportunities.....your future head-on !

We can do this.

Accept that fact and lets go.

No comments: