Thursday, January 08, 2009

BARRACUDA.......


So....

Mr Lucas gave us a run down of things in his life and I thought I would do the same....


2009 has started pretty good as far as alot of the things I mentioned a few weeks back are concerned.

No smoking for me since Jan 1 around 4am.....I woke up and smoked two cigarettes and crushed the rest of the pack.


I started this week cooking each night. So far this has been really good and has also helped me with my goal to not be on the run so much. By the time the meal is done and ready for consumption, I am pretty much home for the night.


I have eaten out ONCE this week with a friend.....Usually by Friday I would have had upwards of three meals out with folks during the daytime and maybe one or two at night. That's crazy I know and I am trying to do my part of cutting back. Just gotta stick with it...


I am currently reading a great bio of Franklin D. Roosevelt. There is alot of new insights into the man and his family. Next up is a bio about Andrew Jackson and then one about Ben Franklin. Ahhhhhh...fun stuff.


I read a great article the other day about a guy who has written a book about how the size of things in the US has changed over the last 40-45 years.

He bought a house built in 1939 and went to place his dishes in the cabinets and found that the doors would not shut....his plates were a little too big for the shelves. He started researching and found that plates in the US started to get bigger in the 1970s....so cabinets got bigger! While not all cabinets were smaller he found that many were ...so he did some more digging and found that


  • Fast food drink cups-Small is now Kids cup,what used to be medium is now small, what used to be large is now medium and two other catagories are usually used for the larger drinks. When McDonalds was just starting in California in the 1950s they had ONE size drink and it was about 12ozs.

  • Most restaurant portion sizes are enough for three people. He did research from Chilis, Applebees, Macaroni Grill , Red Lobster etc.

  • The largest beverage container at 7-11 will hold 64 ozs of soda. Many folks will have two of these in one day. WOW that's alot

He suggests that people at home use salad plates to eat off of ......ordering a to go container as soon as your food arrives at the table in a restaurant and placeing at least half in it to take home. Ordering water as soon as you sit down and start drinking it ....by the time your food comes you will be full and won't eat as much in one sitting.


Anyway these are some good ideas I think ......its all in our heads alot of the time and reminds me of the scene in JAWS where the mayor of Amity is talking to Chief Brody about trying not to cause a panic...


Mayor-" Martin its all psychological, you yell barracuda, folks go HUH?! WHAT?!, but you yell shark and you got a panic on your hands...it's psychological"


The same can be said for alot of our problems with eating ....it's all in our heads...we see a bigger plate so we want to PILE IT HIGH...we see a bigger cup and we say I WANT THAT ONE....Its about changing our habits and I am trying to do that ...


Anyway ...headed to Bham tomorrow for the day. Yall have a great weekend !!




5 comments:

Eleanor said...

Check out Brian Wansink's "Mindless Eating." Amazing.

It all starts in the mind!

Mary Tyler S. said...

1. I quit smoking too -it's hard
2. I want to borrow your FDR book when you are through
3. Very interesting about the plates and Cabinets - Steve noticed that very same situation one time in a really old house when he was doing some cabinet work.
4. Excellent post. must hang soon :0)

Jessica, RN said...

Just thought I would remind you who lives in Birmingham! I'm sure you were going to call and suggest a visit! ha ha. Oh, and eating off salad plates does work. I do it all the time.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the no smoking. that is not a general temptation that i have but i have others that are similar and i'm pulling for you.

also, i have the opposite problem with eating out... i think i stay in TOO much and need to make an effort to go out more. good luck cooking in. it's good for you, like not smoking.

and, i just learned today that theodore had a son named Kermit Roosevelt. lane seems to think its okay because it was "before" kermit the frog. i still think it is weird. anyway, not sure the relation to FDR...maybe nephew or second cousin or something but interesting either way.

Stephanie said...

After you go a few weeks without eating out, I bet you'll see your energy level start to rise. Brian has noticed this so much - he used to eat out a lot because he travels for work, but the weeks when he eats out, he is lethargic and grumpy in the evenings. When he packs a lunch, he has plenty of energy and is happier at night. It's crazy. Our guess is sodium and preservatives, but who knows if we're right.

And the portion thing is so true. I share my meal most of the time and still have food on the plate, and I never leave hungry. We don't need nearly as much as we consume.