Sunday, January 04, 2009

My College Can Beat Up Your College......


So.....

The other night the topic of "cheaper" schools came up ....Cheaper, second rate, two year colleges, etc ....you get what I am saying.

The main discussion being had was that folks who go to these schools are not smart enough to go to another school. Perhaps they just took what they could. Maybe they did not have the money to go to a big school. Whatever the reason it was decided by some at the table that folks who attended "second rate" schools were failures.


My response to this is..... WTF??

First of all, for any of us to sit around and decide that someone is a failure because of where he or she went to school is CRAP. For us to decided that your school is not as good as my school is also CRAP. People should be applauded for going to school...for trying to better themselves. For looking past whatever has possibly held them back and to make the choice to move to a different place in their lives.

Someone at the table was really joking on Jones School of Law at Faulkner U in Montgomery. I have a couple of friends who went to Jones. My lawyer went to Jones and has done quite well for himself and his family. My mothers boss went to Jones and he is now a federal judge for the US Middle District of Alabama.

The main thing is this ....What does it really matter to you or me or that guy or this women where anyone goes to school?

Also, what if you dont go to school and decide that working with a city collecting trash is what you are going to do ....or maybe you become a fireman or a police officer. Maybe you join the military and go fight the wars and battles that MANY of us would just as soon forget about.

But perhaps, just maybe by my going to a two year school before I did anything else makes me less of a person....but something tells me it was ok. I am not the only one who did it and wont be the last.

4 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

how rude. About Jones: a lawyer is a lawyer is a lawyer.

Nick M. said...

I am with you on all of this. And don't tell Laura, but when I finish my MPA I think I still want to go to Jones too. Not right away, but sometime. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nick - maybe you shouldn't preface statements on the very public internets with "do not tell my WIFE, BUT" also, if you ever DO that thing we shall not tell Laura about... i have a stack of books to donate to the cause :-)

J - what kind of toolboxes have you been hanging around that even have a conversation like this?

Anonymous said...

i'm with Mary... where did this stem from?