Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Hard Days Night

So......

This is hard work, isnt it?

Day in and day out.... battling against all types of temptation, against time and good intentioned people, against the inner demons that would see you fail in this quest to remake yourself.
Each day is its own challenge..... that is what Ive found as Ive baby-stepped my way through nearly 9 months of eating a little less... eating a little healthier and trying to make exercise a daily part of my life.
Some days I feel like I am on top of the world and that continuing my good work will be nothing short of playing a simple child like game. Every meal satisfies me in some way and every time i do excercise in some way I feel so much better.
I try not question my plan or myself.
I make my way through the day with pride and with purpose.I am on track.Those are the good days.
Then there are the times where I wake up wondering when the backslide is going to happen.... when that messed-up part of my brain will begin dragging me back into the hole that I sometimes find myself looking into....
I get hungry and feel weak. My excercising feels like wading through wet cement.
I wonder if I’ve got the strength and the stamina to keep doing what Im doing.
I feel lost, alone, afraid......Those are the better days. Crazy huh?
They are the better days because I work my way through those patches.... and I wind up a little stronger in the process.
I get through those days and I realize that there is no stopping me now....
No quitting on this journey.
No going back this time......I am on a great adventure.
I dont know how things are going for you right now.... but I suspect you are having the same mix of good days and not-so-good days as I am......times when it seems easy as pie...times when it seems tougher than nails.

I encourage you to take the good times as they come and enjoy just how good they can be. Rejoice in the wonderful sensation of saying “no” and pat yourself on the back for all the good decisions you make during the course of a day. All of this can apply to anything in your life ...for me its food and my journey with it.
Celebrate the incredible feeling of a well earned sweat or a mini-goal attained.
As for those rough times? Grit your teeth and get through them with as much grace and good will as you can manage. It does not have to be pretty....doesnt have to be textbook.
Just stumble through it as best you can and keep in mind that no one… and I repeat no one… gets through this without suffering setbacks and detours.

It just DOES NOT happen.

I firmly believe that we will make it to where we are headed......I know I will and I suspect you will too. We have simply come too far to turn back..... experienced too much to be satisfied with giving anything other than our very best effort.
No matter what kind of day it turns out to be, I have faith that we… you and I … will make it through it just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember when you hit those setbacks and detours, how far you've come. How much work it was. And know you can keep going forward. If you feel yourself slipping, remember that you don't want it to all be for naught.

Ryan