Thursday, June 15, 2006

Older ....maybe not wiser.......

Old age is the most unexpected of all the things that happen to a man.
Leon Trotsky

Tonight it happened to me .....it has or will happen to just about everyone in their lifetime.....you maybe be 65 when it happens ....you may be 85 when it happens ....or you could be 32 years old like I am .....and tonight it happened to me ....What is this IT I am talking about ?? Tonight I realized for the first time that I am getting old.....I dont mean that I am some crusty old man with hair growing on my ears .....I mean I can now officially say that I dont understand alot of what folks alot younger than me are saying or doing .
I went and watched the Dalraida Ducks play softball tonight and they actually beat First United Methodist Church. After the game I was invited to go have dinner with Andrew and all his friends. I have not seen Andrew in a while so I tagged along .WOW!!!! Besides a very few select things , I have nothing in common with folks their age . They range in age from 18-25. They all have jobs. They all go to church ( I think). They drive cars or trucks , pay taxes YADA YADA YADA.....but that is where it all stops.
We sat there in WINGS for 2 friggin hours and I felt like a stranger in a strange land. They talked about things they have done together and that in itself is fine. But OHHHHH the things they have done !!! I just dont get it . Even when I was their age I did not do these things .
Let me add to all this they burped, talked loud, took countless pictures of each other ,yelled at the folks playing ball on tv and also kinda yelled at the folks sitting next to us . I have never been so ready for a night to come to an end. Maybe all this goes along with how my life has changed this year.
I need good conversation. Good adult beverages. Good friends that can make me think and laugh. I need a conversation that goes beyond the age old question " What is the difference between a nanny goat and a billy goat?" Please dont get me wrong ...These are good decent people ...it is just that I have grown and they have not . Not yet at least. Thats life . I sound like such a snob right now ...I know I do . But this is where I am in my life.

Sunday morning we head out for a week in North Carolina doing mission work at a local womens and childrens shelter. I am excited to be going to North Carolina. The work should be great. I hope its hard and that we are asked to push ourselves . Get out of our comfort zone. Make a small difference perhaps.
My friend Nick is also going the same week to NC but another part of the state . They will also be doing mission work.
Please keep us in your prayers all week . God Bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait until everyone's conversation centers around their kids--and for me now--their grandkids. Solution: Get married TO THE RIGHT GIRL and have some little Jasons and Jasettes of your own. JH