Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Its another SUPER TUESDAY .....


.......For a great haircut !!!

Lets take a brief walk through my day ......First of all, I took off from work today . That in itself was HUGE for me ...Last weekend was what can only be described by some as youth director hell. You see on Friday we had a Lock In at the church. This was a small thank you to the kids for them raising money for famine relief. They raised almost $600.00 dollars and for that I was very proud of them. We stayed up all night ....and by that I mean ALL NIGHT LONG. I slept for 35 minutes total and the next morning at 6am we got up and had our youth yard sale. BLECH it was a long weekend.

I went to a funeral on Monday and then back to work on Monday afternoon....

You are now sitting there wondering ..."What the hell is he talking about"

Anyway.....this afternoon I got a haircut. A good relaxing haircut and I really enjoyed the experience! Not just any haircut but a mountain top haircut experience.
Anyone familier with Montgomery might know about the Eastbook shopping center over in the Dalraida community. Across the street from the shopping center is a small "annex" center and situated there is The Eastbrook Barber Shop.

Walking into this shop is like taking a drastic step back in time ....everything screams the 1950's. It smells like Brylcream....what ever that smells like but I do know that "a little dab will do ya "

I sat down with two other men and waited for my time ....I later found out that the two brothers, The Nobles, have been cutting hair since 1952. In the same area !!

I was finally called back by a loud **NEXT**!! I sat in a chair that strongly resembled Captain Kirk's chair from STAR TREK....

He then cut my hair ...nothing big just a good decent haircut but then he shaved my neck and around my ears .....WOW..He used hot lather from a machine and then sharpend a straight razor and proceded to place the hot foam on my neck ....MY LORD I thought I was going to slide out of the chair , it felt SOOOO good.

He then shaved my neck ....all of this going on while big band sounds were playing on a radio up on a shelf.

I am a geek and love anything old and classic ....Getting a haircut at a laid back place such as this was a treat. I did not have to go to the mall, and that was a blessing. I did not have to sit in a small uncomfortable chair , and that was a blessing. I got to listen to guys talk about sports and politics. Not people in a chain haircutting place complain about their shift or that she only gets an hour for lunch.!!!!


I have found my new barbershop.....and I am happy!

3 comments:

The Bean said...

Congrats on the new hair cut place but make sure the brothers still see as well as they did back in 1952 or you may come out of there one day with a half shaved head! :)

Nick M. said...

She has a point. We used to go to the $7 barber shop in Selma and there were two guys "Larry" and "William". You never wanted "William" to cut your hair because he had hearing aids the size of orbiters sticking out of both ears and you were always scared he wouldn't hear you say you needed 'a trim' and instead would give you the Boot Camp Special.

John III said...

That is amazing. My girl in Auburn goes for the lather and razor shave on me too and I love it. Couple that with a pre-cut wash and I am sold for life.