Friday, March 28, 2008

We are all a little bit racist....

The title of this blog comes from a song in the broadway musical Avenue Q. Great music from what I am told is a great show ...

I think if we are being honest then we can all admit that we are all a little bit racist. It is not something we are comfortable with...

I have been thinking alot about race recently . Ever since Rev Wright was raked over the coals a few few weeks back for what he had to say about things in America.

While I was not really happy to hear some of the things he had to say , I do respect his opinion.

I was talking with a friend of mine who said how could I vote for a man (obama) after knowing he "listens and takes advice" from a man like Rev Wright. My friend went on to say that it was so wrong for Rev Wright to say what he did about AIDS being a government tactic to hurt black men. How crazy it was to even suppose that OUR government could do this to people.
My question is this ? Does he take advice on EVERYTHING ? I mean I have close personal friends who I take advice from on lots of subjects but then there are things that I would never take advice from them on. No offense to them ...its just what I do. Its what many people do ....
But he voted for Hillary in the primary so Obama would not have a chance....I have never crossed over to vote in a republican primary ...makes now sense to me ...I guess folks are scared of something ...

And Let me add this ....Our great government is very capable of doing bad things ..... I dont think they created AIDS but let me remind everyone of something called the TUSKEGEE SYPHILLIS STUDY. Hundreds of black men in Macon county were part of a goverment test to see the affects of syphillis on black men. These men were left untreated for years and years so that OUR government could see what would happen. Even after medication became avaliable for treatment the men were left to die.
Never think that YOUR government is not capable of doing things we only thought other governments did.

This brings me back to Race and the recent treatment of Rev Wright. This is a man who served his nation in the Marine Corps. Served a church in Illinois for more than 30 years. Started outreach programs to get young black men off the street and into jobs and stable lives. Started AIDS outreach programs to help battle this terrible disease. He is entitled to his opinion and yet major media outlets TORE him apart. His entire life was reduced to 30 seconds on YouTube.
That sucks . It sucks that major media outlets that are run by white men have this much power to have influence over a national election.
Pat Robertson goes on television and tells that white men have done more for blacks in the last 75 years. If it were not for whites then where would blacks be ??? They have SSI,Government housing,welfare checks,free cheese . He actually said free cheese !!
I bet they are loving all that free cheese ....

When are we going to become the nation that will make everyone proud? When we can stand up and say that we are doing the right things for people. Instead of hurting and tearing people down??
If what all I just said paints me into a corner as being a bed wetting liberal ....when then I am just gonna have to start wearing PullUps at night ....

2 comments:

Laura Mielke said...

You know I see your point, however, I don't think that the Rev.'s comments were over publicized nor were people's reactions (white and black) blown out of proportion. When you consider how offensive ANY derogatory comment can be to whites and blacks I think that no one should get off the hook for what they say in the public view. if you are in a high profile position and you make such a statement you best be prepared for the consequences. Think back to Don Imus and his off the cuff racial slur about black women's hair that offended the nation! I sure hate double standards.

Jason said...

Trust me,I also hate a double standard also.