Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hope Springs Eternal ....



Hope springs eternal in the human breast;Man never Is, but always To be blest:The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
-Alexander Pope,An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733
So.....

Spring time in the Southland !!!!

I am going to go on and say it ....it is the absolute best of anywhere in the country! Many of you know that I am very partial to the Winter time...I love the short days and the cool nights. I love it...but a very close second is Spring.

In just a few short days around here the landscape just comes alive....almost overnight it seems.

Literally OVERNIGHT....I was outside yesterday and did not notice any buds on the oak trees in my front yard and today when I came home in the late afternoon, I swear to you there were little buds everywhere!!

Azaleas, bradford pear trees, dogwoods....the list goes on and on. For just a few short weeks everything is alive with color .....before fading to the dull greens of late spring and summer. I like to think of it as Gods way of saying "I know its gonna be hot in a few short weeks but I am giving you this wonderful treasure now to enjoy"

One of my favorite movies is Driving Miss Daisy....There is a scene that begins with nothing but shots of everything blooming in the springtime of Druid Hills in Atlanta....Its my favorite part of that movie ...Miss Daisy is sitting on her porch listening to Song to the Moon from the Opera Rusalka, with all this images of Gods wonder being shown. Beautiful!
For just a few short weeks you can feel the Earth growing ....and you feel young again ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly! Spring in the South is a truly wonderful time of year. And I love the way it sneaks up on you just when you were expecting more dreary cold days. WHAM! There it is...warm, sunny days return and the world wakes up from the long winter's nap.

Stephanie said...

That's a great picture! Where did it come from?