Monday, March 02, 2009

Snow Job ....




So.....


As we all know it snowed here on Sunday. I loved it...my nephews loved it ...my youth loved it ...a few of my friends loved it. I had my first snowball fight since 1993!!


Here is the thing...the overwhelming talk I heard all day Sunday was

  • This is Alabama ...it DOES NOT SNOW in Alabama


  • I hate this stuff...why does it have to snow.

I can understand if you dont like snow because you grew up in Ohio River Valley. Or perhaps you spent your childhood in Wisconson or Upstate New York. These are places where it snows...ALOT.

But....in Alabama we hardly ever get accumulated amounts of snow. I mean we might get flurries every now and then but its rare to get enough to build a snow man or have a snowball fight. We go YEARS withouth anything and then we get what we got on Sunday. At one point Sunday it was snowing hard enough that you could not see across the street from the church. On Sunday, to hear it from some folks, you would think that it snows weekly around here...that we typically have to dig out from massive amounts of snow.

Last year we had snow in January and that was the first time we had more than a dusting in about 6 years.

Folks will say that snow is dangerous....people have accidents. Thats true and thats a sad fact about snow....but for the most part its a beautiful fun thing to be in and around. I stood outside on my porch Sunday morning for about 30 minutes ...before the Sun was up good...and enjoyed the silence. Snow tends to make things quiet ...it muffles things....it was great.

I talked to my youngest nephew on Sunday night ...he sounded so tired since he had played so much since 6am. He loved the snow and was so excited to see it ....I asked him how his day was and he said "Jay-c, it was the best day ever ". Kids are so innocent and find happiness in the simplest of things.

I wish we all still did......

No comments: