Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anchors Away


When Spanish Conquistador Hernando “I carry diseases yall have never heard of ” Cortez landed in Mexico in 1519 he gave a startling order: “Burn the ships.”

Some historians argue that he just didnt want to pay the high docking fees at the marina but most have come to the conclusion that he was committed to his mission that he didnt want to allow his men (or himself) the option of returning to Spain... the option of failure.

I have started thinking thinking that this approach to my weight loss might be a good idea ...... Im getting rid of excuses that get in my path, and Im chasing away temptations that I know are just too difficult for me to resist.

I used to buy snacks for my nephews that, more often than not, I would wind up munching on while watching TV.

Burn the chips.

The fridge at church is sometimes stocked with sweet tea and creamy dips.

Burn the dips and tea.

I found myself eating sweet right before bedtime.

Burn the treats.

It seems that sometimes I find myself making poor choices at restaruants.

Burn the menus.

Not one person out there is made of steel........ We cannot resist temptation indefinitely.

What we can do is take away as many of the hurdles and enticements that get in the way of our weight loss success as we possibly can.

If you say you can eat those sweet delicious foods on just the weekend or maybe when out with friends at dinner you are setting yourself up for trouble....When you start making deals with yourself over food, it’s time to burn the ships.....Your family wont like it if you quit buying ice cream? Well heres the big shocker .....theyll get over it. My nephews are crushed because I stopped bringing home their favortite cookies..... those boats have been torched..... along with the excuses. And you know what ? My nephews are now enjoying eating the low fat ice cream and weight watchers cookies and snacks. You learn to change and adapt especially when you see that you need to do it for your well being.

Maybe more important than the temptations youve got to take away the excuses that make taking care of yourself less of a priority than taking care of all the other areas of your existence,all the other duties and responsibilities that fill your days.

This is your life, and its high time that you give yourself the opportunity to be the person you want to be, that you know deep down you’re on the road to becoming.

Burn the ships.

Get rid of anything and everything that could possibly cause you to fail.

Burn the ships.

Take every excuse off the table, and leave every cop-out and justification out back with the trash. Leave yourself no choice but to succeed… and dont be surprised when thats what you do.

Against all odds, Cortez’s men conquered the Aztecs and were victorious where others had been unsuccessful for six centuries.

Its hard to open the fridge door when your backs against the wall.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

This is such a great post. And it's so true - knowing not just what your weaknesses are, but at what point to say no, is key. I can say "no" in the grocery store - once it makes it into my house, I'm going to whittle away at the junk food until it's gone.