Monday, February 01, 2010

No Ceiling


So......


It’s a myth that all overweight people suffer from low self-esteem more than the rest of the population.

In fact tests given to overweight folks have proven that obese individuals are just as mentally healthy (or unhealthy) as anyone else..... Theres no support for the idea that overeating is generally associated with poor mental or emotional health.

Quite the opposite, many slim people who were interviewed said they wouldn’t have the courage to go out if they were obese. They would simply stay at home and hide their faces.

Think about it..... you get up every morning... get out of bed and face the world head-on.

You accept strangers stares, children’s cruel comments and friends “helpful” advice.... all with a smile and grace.

You've recognized the inner demons that have put you in the state youre in, and you're doing something about it. You are getting your life in balance and perhaps providing emotional support for others who are also getting their lives in balance.

Here’s my point .... we are not weak.

Here’s my second point (and this may hurt a little):

We have got to get stronger.

We have got to get stronger because this is a long uphill climb and it will take its toll on you... both mentally and physically.

We have got to get stronger because time is not on our side, and Life will jump up and get in our faces.

We have got to get stronger because folks can look to us and maybe just maybe see hope and they wont be satisfied until we reach your goals.

We have each got our own ways of fighting this fight our own methods to this madness.

I joined Weight Watchers.... You may cut carbs... she may count calories.... he may swim 50 laps a day, folks may play basketball .

There is no one way...no right way....to get there from here.

But I often ask myself this simple question...Am I really doing all I can to succeed?

If you can honestly say yes then God bless you....But I would guess you would be in the vast minority on this one....I know this is going to sound maybe crazy coming from a guy who has been touting his weight loss for the past 8 months but I am still not doing EVERYTHING I could be doing ....I need to be more serious about this if I am planning on finding the untimate success.

I need to shift it into high gear and start getting it done and I mean like today.

The real results aren’t going to happen for me until I buckle down even more . Until I go all in... get serious.

There is a lion on my right bicep area of my arm. Its a tattoo of course.....but some days that lion in my heart, and he’s roaring and pissed at the fat that I’ve added to myself over the years by being stupid and lazy. My being overweight roars at me everyday.

I yell at myself at times at the choices that allowed me to put my own health and future in jeopardy.

So I am going to start listening to this lion more ...he is roaring at me every day filling my spirit with determination and reminding me that this is my time. He is pushing me to run crazy with this weight loss thing and to jump at this AMAZING chance to reclaim my life.

This journey is not for the weak....it is for the strong-willed. I know I have what it takes to lose another 60 or 100 pounds......Why in the world would I not ??


AND...my title tonight was a suggestion from my great friend Clay...former youth and wonderful friend. Thanks bud for your continued support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Ryan

Anonymous said...

"Am I really doing all I can to succeed?"

This is a dangerous question, I think.

Here are some other questions. Did you do all you could to love your family today? Did you do all you could to serve God today? Could you have done more?

Of course you could have done better.

None of these questions has an answer that is true or false at any particular point in time. What is important is what you do consistently.

(JMA)

Laura Mielke said...

I am so glad that JMG and JMA are my friends. Such wisdom and maturity that I need in my life during my own struggles and successes at weight loss, spiritual growth, being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. Thanks for our friendship JMG, which has "no ceiling."