Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Stuck In The Middle Again

So.....

I went to the doctor today to get refills on much needed medicines. It was not a fun time.
You see heres the deal ...I dont like a doctors office. Not that many folks out there line up once a day just to get into them but I dont handle the situation very good at all.
If I have a planned appointment then i usually get nervous the night before....I get nervous on the drive over ...I am anxious in the waiting room area. Sitting between folks hacking up their lungs is not my idea of fun .... I can't sit still once I am back in the room before said examination. I pace...open drawers...look in cabinets....look out the window...look in drawers again....think about stealing some tounge depressors.....wonder if I could get the contents of a whole jar of gauze pads in my pocket....wish I could use the ear thing to look down into my own ears...I am a wreck.
Today was really no different. I finally got back to the room a good 30 minutes after my prescribed appointment time....get in and nothing. No vitals are taken. The doc comes in and asks me if anyone took my BP, temp, etc...and I say no they did not...now she looked a little cheesed off. She leave the room and comes back with the stuff and does it all....
Clearly at this point the morning she is not having a great day....
My blood pressure was high ....144/92. She starts telling me I need to lose weight to get that down some more and in fact one of the best ways to lower high BP is to go on a diet.
Let me add this here ....I have been without my BP medicine for at least a week so I am pretty sure not taking PLUS the added stress of just being there to get refills made my pressure be higher than normal
I proceed to tell her that I am actually on a diet and ahve been since August and have lost over 50lbs....Almost like turning a light on her whole attitude changed. She says THAT'S FANTASTIC...!!!! Then she proceeds to tell me that she has recently also lost about 60lbs. We start talking about stuff and by the time I left we were both smiling and swapping stories.
Maybe she should have taken my pressure again to see if it had some down any ....
A doctors appointment that made me smile ....go figure !

3 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

You probably made her day a little more bearable. It's funny how things work out huh?!

mary said...

I'm glad your appointment turned around at the end. I also would like to commend your use of the phrase "cheesed off." Don't see that one every day.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to commend you for admitting you thought of taking "tongue depressors". That is awesome! Glad it went well. But why were off your meds for a week mister?

Ryan