Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear


So......


For the past couple of weeks I have been having this roaring sound in my ears. The right ear being the worst of the two....Mild at times and then really bad later at night. Bad to the point of being a distraction....and causing me to not hear things as I should.

On Monday I went to see Dr Knox here in Montgomery to see what was going on ....Let me add this ...I really like Dr Knox, He is a really great doctor who takes all the time in the world with you and add to that the fact that he realy makes me feel relaxed when he walks in the room.

That goes a LONG way with me since I am not a fan of doctor settings and such.

Anyway, he checked me out...looked in the ears, asked tons of questions and after much discussion we finally wound ourselves around to my weight loss. It would seem that in some cases rapid weight loss ( and for me almost 36lbs in 11weeks is rapid) can cause what I was experiencing. The tubes in your ears contract, open and close when you swallow. When you lose alot of weight in a short time they react to that somehow and dont open and close right and that produces the roar that I was hearing.

He said that in time once my body catches up to the weight loss stuff it should go away...Good Deal.

Here is the second part to all this ....He decided to have my hearing checked while I was there just as a precaution. Well after a long hearing test we found out that my left ear is fine...my right ear not so much. I have 30% hearing loss in my right ear. 30%!!

He asked tons of questions about what type of noise I am around...... I am not around long sustained loud noises. Never have been.

We discussed if this was something I was born with ....Not likely. If I had been born with something like this by tht time I got to be my age the hearing loss would have been much further along.

Just great ......

So here we are ....

1 comment:

Laura said...

sad day! i was hoping this post was going to tell me it's officially time for christmas music! darn. so sorry to hear about your hearing problem (pun intended)hope to see you soon!