Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mack the Knife

So.....
I dont know if you know this but you need to be REALLY careful when cutting turnip roots. First of all after you have removed the outer layer they are really slippery. I was using a cutting board and a fairly sharp knife but those buggers move around alot...I am a confident person in the kitchen but when things move about like that I get nervous. Kinda like cutting up a whole chicken....that makes me nervous also.

I cooked a small roast tonight that called for fresh garlic, half sodium chicken broth and fresh thyme. It roasted for about an hour and half then you add a few quarted red potatoes, cut up turnip roots, onions and carrots. I forget the carrots....
With this recipe you got a HUGE serving of everything and being honest I did not even eat all of mine....I ate my salad first and drank water so I guess I filled up. But got some great leftovers for tomorrow.

Excercise-
I have a problem that I cant seem to overcome....Shin splints!! I stretch, I warm up but I still get them and after walking for a bit its almost unbearable. Any suggestions ?

Thats all I got tonight ...Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it can be a pain in the arse, a royal one, but sometimes its all in the shoes. to that end... i am no help. i just buy regular shoes.

Eleanor said...

Shin splints generally happen for one of three reasons: Improper foot strike (if you are walking, the heel should hit the ground first; if you are running, midsole first; NEVER ball of the foot); walking/running on bad surfaces (if you are walking/running on sidewalks, quit it and use the street or a dedicated walking track/trail instead. Concrete is not your friend.); and lack of flexibility.

To counter that, use the Alphabet method -- and not only as a warm-up, cool down, but whenever you're just sittin' around.

Extend your leg parallel to the ground, and with your foot "draw" the letters of the alphabet. Obviously you want to do this with both feet, and if you can do it at the same time you're probably one of those people who can pat their head and rub their belly at the same time, and you are an alien.

mary said...

And until they go away, maybe try the exercise bike or something that doesn't involve so much impact??