Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Softly as I Leave You


In Memoriam

Ted Kennedy


We have all read or heard the news about Senator Ted Kennedys death last night from brain cancer. It was a hard fight that he fought until the very end. He was a champion for the working man, for the disenfranchised, minorities and those in real need. He sponsored or co-sponsored many bills that have shaped this nation in the last 40 years. He is owed a huge debt of gratitude for doing the hard things. He reached across the aisle to get support for things that were not always popular but he never forgot his base and who he was working for...This earned him the tile "Lion of the Senate". He was respected. I wanted him to be my senator.


One thing that keeps coming back to me is the fact that he led his family for 40 years after the death of Bobby Kennedy.....He was never really "the one"in the Kennedy family. It was supposed to be older brother Joe, then Jack , then Bobby. Ted was the youngest and the playboy. He got into more trouble and broke the most rules. And he usually always got caught doing the bad stuff. He learned and he grew.

His older brothers were all dead along with a sister, Kathleen. So by 1970 he turned around and realized his family needed him to step up and he did.

My grandmother loved and respected Ted Kennedy. She cursed at him for some of the things he did in his life but she knew he did ALOT for the people of Massachusetts and for America.

Hard to believe that in less than a month two great Kennedys are gone ....


I voted for Barack Obama last year for many many reasons but last year when Ted Kennedy endorsed Obama I kinda knew then that I would be voting for and throwing my support towards Obama.


If I am being honest I will have to say that Sen Kennedys passing has been tough for me this morning ...just sad is how I feel.

I hope he has rest and comfort now ....

Rest In Peace, Senator .


1 comment:

mary said...

Thanks for writing this... I felt really sad about it today too. He was a real friend to the causes nearest and dearest to me. It's definitely a loss for the country.

PS (Who is this anonymous asian-language speaking person who is blog stalking you???)