Monday, October 19, 2009

Blame It On The Boogie

So.....

The one thing I learned early on as a youth director is accountability.
If something goes wrong during the time you are with the kids... it is your fault.
Not only is it your fault but you need to come up with the answer to make things right real quick
Some youth directors are not successful because they do not realize how important accountability is.
They want to blame their chaperones or parents for not doing their part.
They can not take the heat, they get defensive.....the truth is, the leader is always the one who will be held liable for actions, so the issues need to be resolved.
I am pretty decentl in my job because of my accountability.I would like to think that anyway....
I will easily take the blame for everything that goes wrong while I am in charge of something.

I am was good at taking the blame until I talked about my being overweight!

Until recently, if you were to ask me why I was so overweight, I would blame everyone!

By the way, everyone includes:

  • Willy Wonka
  • Jack Daniels
  • Aunt Jemima
  • Burger King
  • Mayor McCheese
  • Willy Wonka (if you want)

And so many more.It was not my fault that I ate all of the food, it was society's fault.

I had to eat a lot for Thanksgiving and other holidays, I just had to!. My job as a youth director entitled me to eat as much bad food as I wanted, pizza,fried things, fast food. It allowed me to have horrible eating schedules.I was in a bad mood, so it was okay to eat a lot. I justified everything!

When I started losing weight, I was scared. Scared that bad food would be in the house. Scared that I would eat fried food at youth stuff. Scared I would stay over 350 pounds for the rest of my life.

But you know what I was finally accountable for my weight loss, and had to realize that restaurants will not go away, Uncle Ben will always be at the supermarket, and my youth will not eat the way I do.

The world will not change for me, I have to change for it. So while working at the same church and being with the same folks and being with or around food, I have lost 33 pounds so far. With Blue Bell waving to me every time I pass the frozen section, I have lost 33 pounds so far.

There are no more excuses for my health. The economy is bad.... and there will be family situations throughout my lifetime. My job will be stressfull from time to time

But, it is nice to know I will be able to deal with all of these issues because I have gotten my life back.

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

Proud of you -- proud of your epiphanies!

Semantics is so important -- I believe that the very words we choose trigger something inside our brains. I finally made the shift from "I CAN'T" (fill in the blank with "lose weight," "resist ice cream," etc.) with "I WON'T."

That sounds negative, but it really isn't -- when you say "I Won't" you are actually empowering yourself, and regarding food? Wow -- when we give ourselves back the control over what we choose to eat -- realizing that we don't always make the best decision -- food no longer has power over us.

jackie said...

33 pounds down and looking good! I'm very happy for you Jason (and very proud of you too)!