Thursday, October 22, 2009

North Carolina Is My Home

So ........

Tomorrow we leave for Western North Carolina for what has been dubbed Man Weekend In The Woods.
Most of you out there know of my deep love for the hills of North Carolina. YOu know that I ache for that place when I am not there....I dream of it during the Summer. I long for it during the Fall and Winter.....
I know many of my readers out there also have a fondness for North Carolina ....You have travelled the same roads and highways. You have stopped and stayed in the same towns....
You have visited the same restaurants,shops and attractions. You have driven the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Mt Mitchell to Craggy Gardens to Blowing Rock and Boone.
And I dont mean to say that anyone out there has any less of an appreciation for the beautiful sites of counties such as Watauga,Buncombe,Avery than I do but .....
I feel at home when I cross that state line....I feel a comfort in my heart that I cannot explain to hardly anyone....I feel the strong ties to my family. The family that settled in the mountains in and around the town of Boone. The town where my grandfather was born and raised. The town I visited as a child.
I sleep well in North Carolina ....I live well in North Carolina....Tomorrow for me I go home once again...
Its just for a few days but I take what I can get. Perhaps my love would be dimished some if I actually lived there....Who knows.
Charles Kuralt wrote these words many years ago ....They eventually became a song about NC.

North Carolina is My home....Here where the Smokies rise......
Blossoms adorn the dogwood tree down on the old homeplace....
Tar on my heels feels good to me.....here in my state of grace.
Carolina raised me straight as a mountain pine. Rocked me in her cradle... Southern mother of mine.
North Carolina is my home ...Home far beyond all praise.
Goodliest home under heavens dome...here I shall spend my days

I will be out of pocket until Sunday night so the next message you get from me will be Monday perhaps....I wont weigh in this weekend since I will be out of town but will let yall know next week how I am doing.
Hope everyone has a great weekend ....Travelling pairs for the five(myself,Nick,Steve,Lane and John) of us are appreciated....
Peace

No comments: