Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear ?

So.....

I want some advice from you folks out there that read this blog....
Here is my thing...I am walking a couple of times a week. Usually about 5 times a week...I am enjoying it alot. The days I dont walk I used this small recumbant bike I have at home.
Here is my struggle...Do I start back at the gym or keep at it like I am going now.
I joined the Y back in the early spring but never got into a great habit of going....It was one thing or another that was keeping me from getting into a tight schedule but I really enjoyed my time while I was there....
I cancelled the Y at the end of the summer but am now thinking about joining back up somewhere. Somewhere I can go that adds a little variety to what I am now doing....
I will most likely be going to the gym in the morning ...I will most likely be going alone. I am cool with that since I am usually walking alone...
I dont think I will be going back to the Y.....They have too much going on there for me I think. Basketball, soccer,baseball,swimming,aerobics and on and on...
Plus its $45.00 per month for a single person. I have looked into Planet Fitness and they offer two plans
  • Plan A-You pay $39.99 signing fee and then $10.00 per month. No contract. No nothing.....you get to use their equipment and locker room. Thats it.
  • Plan B- You pay no signing fee but you are charged $19.99 per month with a 12 month contract. This gets you into the gym,steam room,massage chairs(forwhattheyareworth). Discounted drinks and such. Little perks.

SO what would YOU do dear reader ? Give me some feedback ...ask some questions...Speak to me ...

3 comments:

mary said...

If it were me, I'd do the $20 a month. That is a really good price and you seem to be in the mood lately to stick with your commitments for the long term so a year contract shouldn't be that big of a deal. Even if you go two or three times a week, I think $20 is worth it - that is what we spend to go see ONE movie.

I think mixing up your workout routine is a good idea so that's my two cents for what its worth.

Nick M. said...

I actually was thinking to myself just the other day that I wished you would join back up at the Y. I know that it is an expense and I know that we weren't always able to get there at the same time but I think there will still be chances to have some of that accountability (I know I sure need it). Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, I think it's a good idea to join somewhere. From my experience, I never stuck with a workout plan until I joined a gym. Once I got into it, I feel guilty and bad if I miss time from there. Eventually you will enjoy going. I had to miss a few weeks recently due to a family issue and I felt awful about it. A part of my routine and life was missing....

I recommend never signing a contract. Who knows where life will bring you. There are many gyms out there that offer a monthly fee with no contract. You just have to search. For example, I am a member of Gold's gym and I pay 44 a month with no contract. I can quit anytime. Full gym benefits. You just have to look. And you can get them to go cheaper if they think you'll go somewhere else. In this economy you are in the drivers seat.

And ditto on what Mary said. You absolutely have to mix things up. Going one speed on a piece of equipment everyday does nothing. Also, make sure you do weight training because it's as important as cardio!

Ryan