Thursday, September 03, 2009

Walking On The Moon

So....

Did anyone see the HUGE moon in the sky tonight? ....just beautiful and full!

Comfort.
verb (used with object)
1.
to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to: They tried to comfort her after her loss.
2.
to make physically comfortable.

noun
3.
relief in affliction; consolation; solace: Her presence was a comfort to him.
4.
a feeling of relief or consolation: Her forgiveness afforded him great comfort.
5.
a person or thing that gives consolation: She was a great comfort to him.
6.
a cause or matter of relief or satisfaction: The patient's recovery was a comfort to the doctor.
7.
a state of ease and satisfaction of bodily wants, with freedom from pain and anxiety: He is a man who enjoys his comfort.
8.
something that promotes such a state: His wealth allows him to enjoy a high degree of comfort.
9.
Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. a comforter or quilt.
10.
Obsolete. strengthening aid; assistance.

That was alot of definition for one word but we can all find something in our lives that offers us some level of comfort. Most likely we can look at the above listing and find things that SCREAM at us....its who we are.
Laura M cooked a wonderful shepards pie for dinner tonight and invited me over ....It was WW friendly and a HUGE portion was only 5pts.
Afterwards we took the girls for a stroll and that turned into a fairly brisk walk around their neighboorhood. While walking we touched on comfort foods and how much we crave them at times.
We talked about how the shepards pie or something of the equivalent would be great in the cooler months....dark outside with a nice wind blowing and a warm meal on the table that is filling and delicious without being overboard on calories.

What is it about food that brings us so much comfort ? Look back at the definition of the word comfort and think about how many of those things listed are actually true when we relate them to FOOD.
Funeral food, wedding food, birthday celebrations, cookouts, holidays. There is a huge food element in all of these things. Besides funerals, the others represent a time when we see family and friends and have a great time ....and we bring food. We sample what others have brought and talk about how great this is or that is ...we gush about a recipe or a taste. It gives us peace and comfort on a level that many other things in our lives cant come close to compare...

We are not all like this and dont get me wrong in saying that we go to a party for the food over the fellowship...I dont and hopefully you dont either but digging into that creamy cheesy dip with some homemade pita bread chips can be life changing (not really, I kid) but when was the last time I went to a party or to watch a game or celebrate a big event and food was not a part of that situation?
I enjoy trying new things ....but part of this journey, for me, is trying old things in a new way.

So what foods bring you comfort ? If you could have it right now ...what would it be ?

Peace

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

My mother's cornbread dressing, which should never even TRY to be points friendly. I head into Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day having used ZERO flex, just so I can totally enjoy.

It's what I love about WW -- I haven't had to give up a single thing except the idea that I could eat what I wanted, when I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted without consequence.

Laura Mielke said...

I loved spending time with you tonight - as always! I am glad that the pie turned out so great. I can't wait to see if the OT approves it as our "babies' first casserole" it is SO easy. Also, our walk was so nice and I can't wait to do our Christmas walks too! You head this way ANY time and we will get started a little earlier and do the whole three miles.

Laura Mielke said...

oh and my favorite comfort food... probably poppyseed chicken (hot and creamy) with white rice. Fav. comfort snack? mexican cheese dip.